If you could work for any employer in Australia, who would it be? Every year, Randstad conducts the biggest independent research into employer branding in the world - respondents are asked to rate the top 150 businesses in the country on key factors such as job security, competitive salary, location and culture.
Does the name of your preferred employer pop up on the list of the top 20 employers in Australia? If it does, you may be in for some tough competition when it comes to gaining employment at your business of choice - here are our top tips on how to land a job with your dream employer:
- Assess what skills/attributes your preferred employer brand regards highly in a potential candidate: Each company is different and will have their own core values. For example, one top employer might favour candidates who have a thirst for knowledge, whereas another may look for more creative, forward thinking types. Peruse the company website, or search for their mission statement to find out the type of culture fit your dream employer is looking for
- Work on your own personal brand - Jobseekers with a distinct personal brand stand out from the crowd when applying for roles with the top employer brands in Australia so it’s important to work on how you are perceived both online and offline - from your clothes, to your resume, to the social networks you are on - and make sure the message you are showing matches your personal brands ethos. Want to learn more? Read our article here
- Leverage social media: strategically speaking, social networks such as facebook, twitter and in particular LinkedIn can be excellent tools to display your online resume, and network with likeminded industry professionals.
- Develop great communication skills: No matter what you do or where you work, you will always need to have communication skills, and developing your own strong communication skills will work in your favour when applying for roles at your employer of choice. By honing your written communication skills you will be able to convey in your cover letter exactly why you want to work for this specific organisation, and when you go to the interview, your verbal communication skills will help you to further emphasise your passion for the business.
- Get creative! As you can imagine, the top employers in Australia are in high demand, so it’s important to do whatever it takes to grab attention and show your employer of choice just how much you want to work there. Consider creating a video cover letter or converting your resume into an infographic.
No matter which employer you want to work for, it’s important to stay ahead of the game – with the tips above you should be landing your dream job in no time! Do you work for your dream employer? Tell us how you did it!
Posted: Friday, 21 March 2014 - 11:39 AM